Tips if you are going to do Canyoning in Málaga
There are different zones to enjoy canyoning in Málaga and more than 40 companies operating at this moment. With this guide, we want to help you on choosing so you can decide after knowing all the possible information, and enjoy a day full of adventure and excitement with a canyoning session in Málaga.
Canyoning is a super entertaining aquatic activity, and in the case of Málaga it can be carried out all year long. This adventure consists on descending ravines, having to surpass different challenge throughout the trail. Jumps, natural slides, ponds, waterfalls and rappels are normally the most common challenges.
To see an example of what this activity is all about, we present you this video:
Next, we will tell you what do you need to know before carrying out this activity and show you the options and difficulty levels that you will find within the province, so you can choose the one that is better for you. Here, you have all the rest of offers to go canyoning in Málaga.
The ravines are classified under difficulty levels. The duration, the height of the cliffs or rappels, if it includes natural slides or different obstacles are some of the factors that determine the level. There are 4 levels:
- The level I or iniatory ones are suitable for all audiences, does not demand a great physical condition, and it can be enjoyed with kids from the ages of 6 or 7. It usually is the alternative to bypass all the obstacles and cliffs that do not surpass 2 or 3 meters.
- The level II provide longer and exciting ravines. They are also suitable for everyone but demand a more physical condition. There will be 8-meters jumps and rappels and obligatory natural slides to continue with the adventure.
- The level III for those who already have experience doing canyoning, and above all they have rappelling ease, they can opt for a level III ravine. It will be a much more technical activity with more difficult challenges. Normally the minimum age is between 14 and 16 years.
- Lastly, there are the level-IV ravines, only suitable for experts. They are indicated for people with an excellent physical form and that have carry out canyoning activities non-stop.
In the province of Málaga, you can choose between the following ravines to carry out the activity:
- Guadalmina ravine: This is an initiatory ravine, suitable for everyone and a very entertaining one. It does not require a great physical condition nor previous knowledge about the techniques. It has various rappels and very easy ponds to cross. If you would like to enjoy a first experience or of a family adventure, this ravine near Marbella, will captivate you.
- Almanchares ravine: This is a level-II ravine, where a great physical condition demand is greater than Guadalmina. It takes us around 4 to 5 hours to complete the activity. You will need to pass a 10 of rappels.
- Tajo de Ronda canyoning: This is an easy ravine but, has a rappel of more than 30 meters in height and a final jump. We qualified this one under medium-level difficulty. You will enjoy incredible natural views. You can see it by clicking here.
- Buitreras canyon: For the daring, bolder and with previous experience, we present you the Buitreras ravine, between the Serranía de Ronda and the Sierra de Grazalema. This is a medium-high level and it depends on the trail you choose, it can last between 5 and 7 hours. Suitable for people with a great physical form and previous experience.
- Zarzalones ravine: Is a fun ravine in the middle of the Sierra de las Nieves, that can be described as a level I-II in difficulty. Usually takes around 4 hours to complete it and has a variety of jumps and cliffs, the higher one has 20-meters of length.
- Sima del Diablo ravine: This canyon is located in Júzcar, known as the Smurf village. Is an easy ravine, indicated to share it with the family or with friends. Is a very fun and recommendable for the heat season, just to take a dip whilst enjoying the views, jumps and cliffs. In Júzcar, you will also find the Arroyo Majales ravine.
- Jorox ravine: Jumps, natural slides, overhangs and 6 rappels with up to 22 meters. With this medium-level ravine between Alozaina and Yunquera, you will have a great time. It will be 4 hours full of excitement and adventure.
- Verde River canyon: In the Sierra of Almijara, you can find us between Málaga and Granada with the Verde river ravine, which trail in the province of Málaga is one of initiatory level (I-II) and if it done completely, at the zone of Granada, it can be a medium to medium-high levels (II-III). It is a very fun ravine because it diversity of challenges.
Like you see, Málaga presents a great variety of possibilities that you can choose from. To enjoy canyoning is obligatory to know how to swim and bring a swimsuit and sports or trekking shoes that allows to carry out the activity safely. All the technical and safety material will be provided by the organizational company (neoprene, helmet, ropes, harness).
Choose your ravine and enjoy an unforgettable experience.