Guide the best companies to do canyoning in Granada . Discover the best selection of cannon companies to descend the canyons in Granada . There are canyons of initiation and improvement so that all types of public can practice it. Also water and dry ravines. Check options, prices and opinions.
Granada has a spectacular geography to practice canyoning. With this guide, you will be able to find different zones to carry out descends in ravines, explain the differences between the different skill levels and help you to choose the perfect activity’s plan, that one that is better for you.
Firstly, let us explain that this sport consist of a river descend to follow its channel whilst equipped with only a helmet, neoprene suit, boots and life jacket. In some routes, depending on the river, it will also be necessary to use ropes to go rappelling in some parts - like waterfalls, natural slides and jumps into the rivers of Granada - and here, you will see all the canyoning offers. Previous experience is not needed, even though we recommend to enjoy of great physic.
The majority of Granada’s ravines are aquatic, so that’s why we recommend you to practice this activity between during Spring and Summer. Even still, the waters are not so cold during the rest of the year and with a good neoprene suit, you can practice this activity during winter months without a problem.
With this video, you will see a great what a descend is, so you see, more or less, what is waiting for you if you decide to come:
Where to carry out canyoning in Granada? There exist various ravines in the province, among which we highlight:
- Canyoning in Verde River ravine (Otivar): Chorreras ravine is the most popular one among the ravines in Granada and in it, one of the most fun and exciting activities you can carry out. It is located just at 15 minutes from Almuñecar by car, around 20 km. Just next to the center of Almijara Natural Park, Tejeda and Alhama. It adapts to all skill levels, from initiation to experts. Technically, it has no difficulty, has a great variety of crystal clear waters ponds (yes, turquoise green waters), very high rapids, the highest has 12 meters and 5-meters jumps for those who would like to jump throughout the route. If you like this option, here you can book it.
- Trevelez Ravine (Orgiva): It is difficult to enter and it is located in the Sierra of Alpujarra. A very technical ravine and it has white waters by the Sierra Nevada’s thaw. The best season to descend this ravine will be during Summer days. It is not suitable for beginners because it's great channel, rebuffs, traps, and washers and 30-meters rappels. Unlike the previous ravine, its waters are more turbid and we don’t recommend to cross this ravine if recently it has rained. In the contrary, if it is a dry ravine, the skill-level difficulty is less. Is a long canyoning adventure, around 5 hours of duration.
- Lentegí Ravine: Easy route that can even be considered like the small Verde river of the zone. It starts from the Guardajamas river and enjoying a rappel. If we start higher, you will find dry trails during the Summer months and that will take you an hour to complete it. Is an initiatory ravine with jumps and great rappels. If you like this option, we offer this 4-hour descend through Lentegí.
- Guadajama River descend: Also known as Gurdajamás, and it starts in the Mirador de la Cabra Montes. This is the river that needs to be crossed from Lentegí’s, where both connect, so we will be able to descend first the river and end by descending both ravines. About the chosen combination, it will be completed in 2 hours if you only carry out the first trail that has 7 rappels between 10 and 15 meters of height or 6 hours if we descend the 2 ravines.
- Bermejo Ravine: Also known as Tajo del Cortés, you enter it from Capilera, next to the Sierra Nevada. This is a medium-level descend. This one is completed in 1 hour and has 4 and 15 meters rappels. Even though is a short ravine is incredible fun. Let’s remember to enjoy this canyoning adventure during the months of Summer since the water is normally really cold. Here, we show you the option to go canyoning in Bermejo.
- Inferior Guadalentín Ravine: This is located in Jaén, next to Granada, exactly between the Pozo Alcón and Castril villages, also called as Bolera because it ends in the swamp with that name. Is a low-difficult canyoning session and suitable for children up to 12 years old and it only takes 4 hours to complete it. Is a ravine to enjoy it during Spring months since in Summer, it usually does not have water. If you love this option, we provide the offer to descend the Guadalentín.
Now that you have chosen the zone, you may notice that is the characteristic that marks the activities difficulty. There are level-I to IV ravines, from less to high difficulty, and the main difference are the rappel descends, wide channel trails, the jumps and different orographic conditions of the river. This way, is possible that a same river has different difficulty-skill levels parts during different seasons of the year.
Nowadays, there are 40 companies working in this zone. Our advice is to ask if they offer civil responsibility insurance and that are registered in tourisms before booking the offer.