In Gijón Surf Hostel from our spectacular house 150 meters from the coast we provide you with multiple alternatives to spend your leisure days. Due to our location, the quality of our modern facilities and the price of our packages, we advise you to stay with us for the activities we offer you. However, you can also book them separately.
As a surf hostel our specialization goes through the surf lessons combined with accommodation . In fact as a school we are within the Asturian Federation. In the lessons we make small groups with the students and transfer them, if necessary, to the right sport. To this are added complementary activities that you can hire even if you do not opt for surfing. They are:
- In the water : we teach you how to paddle surf to go on a trip along the coast of Gijón, we go to the Sella River to descend it by canoe or to the ravines bathed by this same channel. If we prefer that an engine intervene to add excitement to our adventure we will ride a jet ski, flyboard and wakeboard. Quieter are the catamaran rides exclusively for your group.
Under the sea surface we can learn diving as baptism, seek the diploma of scuba diver or get certified with the Open Water Diver of Padi.
- In the air : we will admire the landscapes of Asturias while flying in a balloon in 60-minute itineraries within a total experience of 3 hours.
At Gijón Surf Hostel we want you to have all possible leisure alternatives along the coast of Asturias so you can spend your holidays with us without needing anything else. That is why we also make a foray into the underwater world through courses and diving activities like these:
- The baptism : focused so that you get the first sensations under water not only as an experience but as a way of knowing if you want to go to a course to get your scuba diving title. After a theoretical talk you will participate in a shallow water immersion that will help you to test the equipment in real conditions. We will also propose some exercises and we will initiate you in the safety regulations.
- Scuba diver : it is the first diving certification and the prelude to the Open Water Diver. It is done in less time and will prepare you for supervised dives up to 12 meters. You will pass 3 theory modules, another 3 in confined waters and 2 more that are done in open water.
- Open Water Diver : with which you can already consider yourself a diver and you will have on your wall the title that gives you access to dives up to 18 meters anywhere. Before reaching that moment, we will overcome a total of 15 modules distributed equally between theory, immersions in confined waters and those carried out in the open sea.
In Gijón Surf Hostel we could not leave out of our activities the most famous of the entire Asturian Community: the descent of the Sella River in Canoa. In addition, the great advantage of this proposal is that it combines nature, sport and access for the whole family since you can come and do it with children from the age of 5 if they can swim. These will have a reduced rate until 12.
By the way, your dog comes free with his gift picnic.
There are several alternatives in terms of travel that will suit you to a greater or lesser extent depending on the hours you want to devote to navigation. The shortest is 7 kilometers and ends in 2 hours. The following is a stretch of 14 kilometers that takes us around 3 hours 30 minutes while the most extensive, of 17 kilometers, requires 4 hours and a half.
We leave from Arriondas on a continuous schedule from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. It is important that you do not forget that at 6 pm the access to the river is closed. You will also be interested to know what:
- We bring you the canoe, the paddle for each person and lifejacket existing wetsuits for the cold. We will lend you a watertight canister for delicate items and we will prepare the picnic.
- You'll have to come with bath clothes. As for footwear, it must be wet, but ideally, it can be attached to the foot. Bring spare clothes to replace them with wet ones when you're done.
In Gijón Surf Hostel we go to the top of the Sella River to take advantage of the most popular channel of Asturias in ravine descents that adapt to all levels of experience. However, before joining our expeditions, keep in mind that you should know how to swim.
Accompanied by instructors and guides that explain how to advance in each obstacle, we will go out with a helmet, ropes for the whole group, individual harnesses, full-length neoprene with socks and booties for this modality. With this equipment it is enough that you bring your swimsuit and change clothes. This leaves us prepared for any of these options:
- El Barranco Rubo : it is low level, so it admits children from 5 years old. It leaves at 9.30 a.m. and returns around 2.30 p.m. onwards. It will take at least 5 people to form a group.
- The ravines of Vallegón, Carangas or La Molina : are classified within a medium level of difficulty and will face the first rappels and jumps. With 2 people we can set a departure date.
- Rubo complete or Viboli : only for those who have previous experience in descents. In case of wanting to increase complexity even more, we will go to the Carangas ravine to do its full extension.
In Gijón Surf Hostel we operate as an official school within the Asturian Surf Federation to teach, both to those who stay at our facilities, and to visitors who only ask us to participate in the lessons. P >
Each class lasts for 90 minutes which also includes the preparation of the material and its collection once we have finished in the water. We will leave in groups that do not exceed 8 students per instructor since we seek to be able to follow closely each of the people who trust us to become surfers of more level.
- They understand the material that will be used during class and accident insurance through which all students remain covered. Additionally you can request photo report on the activities you do.
- They are carried out in San Lorenzo Beach . However, if we consider that the conditions presented are not adequate, we will take care of the transfer by minibus to the spot that is suitable. These have up to 9 seats and space to carry the tables comfortably with us.
In Gijón Surf Hostel we are specialized in waves but there are many ways to live them and one of them is wakeboarding. For this modality we have inherited the idea that Tony Finn left us in the 80's. While surfing in California he realized that he needed an alternative for those days in which the sea remained calm and to take out the surfboard he did not have sense.
Today you can follow in artificial waves with this discipline. To wakeboard:
- You have on your feet some boots attached to a board that has many similarities with those used for snowboarding. To put yourself on it, it is enough that you have reached the age of 16 if your parents allow it in writing.
- Take advantage of the wake that remains after the boat that drags you while you are subject to a cape. In a first contact with the water we will work on how to keep you standing as long as possible. Then it will be the turn of more complex movements.
The wake sessions we organize have a minimum time of 30 minutes and can be booked for a full hour.
With Gijón Surf Hostel test the power transferred to the sea in the Sea Doo Bombardier GTI jet skis that we put at your fingertips on the coast of Gijón. So that you do not need a degree you will follow one of our instructors during an excursion in which:
- Two people can participate on each motorcycle or only one of them. In the event that you go as a couple when we have reached the middle of the route you can exchange the controls. That way you will both feel the experience of piloting. However, if you do not feel like it or your companion is a minor, you can remain without problem as a passenger throughout the journey.
- We will stop to bathe in the high seas with what you will be in waters that stay away from the bulk of tourists that stay on the coast. This stop will be made on both the 30-minute and the 1-hour excursion.
- You will be given a vest and, if necessary, a wetsuit that isolates your skin from the temperature of the water.
Without a title you can take the jet ski being of age or from 16 years if your parents have authorized you to do so. With qualification you can rent it for free use.
Being by the sea in Gijón Surf Hostel we had to put at your disposal a large ship with which to complete your stay with us. You can also ask us if you are not staying at the hostel for the following purposes:
- Sea trips : using the Lagoon 440 catamaran with the stability and comfort that characterize it. It is a large boat equipped with a total of 6 cabins attended by 4 bathrooms. Passengers will enjoy the views and sunbathe on either of their two decks with up to 12 people on board.
You can rent for hours, days or weeks at which to consume your own food and drink. Also prepare the music you want to listen to and bring it with you. Within the price is included the assistance of the employer, accompanied by a sailor, and fuel.
- Celebrations on board : keep in mind that the catamaran is not available by places, only by full rental for your group. This makes it especially suitable for your celebrations that will have all the privacy you are looking for.
In Gijón Surf Hostel you can take paddle surf lessons whether or not you are staying at our facilities. Take the opportunity to know how to do the right way with this great board accompanied by rowing in one of the best locations for it in Asturias.
We will form a group before departure although we will worry about not exceeding the maximum number of participants that we have set at 5. This way we can guarantee an exhaustive attention to each of its components. From here:
- We will organize classes in which we will be dedicated to learning stand up paddle for 2 hours and a half. Within this time we will initiate contact with this modality while preparing the material while at the end of the class we will leave a few minutes to pick up the equipment.
- We will remain attentive to the indications of instructors with qualification and experience that will determine what our needs are in the water.
- We will take advantage of our location to follow one of the itineraries of sup most prominent in the region that begins just a hundred meters from our complex. We can also move to other points in the minibuses of the hostel.
In Gijón Surf Hostel we discover the utility of jet skis to offer us a completely different discipline to them: the flyboard. This modality is nourished by the jetski using the propulsion that they offer to lift the participant on the water and make you fly in the sea.
In this activity the instructor stays by your side constantly while remaining on the bike so that everything starts:
- The jet ski is drinking water that is used from a large hose connected to the flyboard . You will wear that board attached to the feet by fixing their boots. Just below the jet that is received opens in two smaller flows that give you the impulse to lift you.
- The monitor will see what control you have on the table. The first moments will be devoted to giving you progressive momentum so that you can keep yourself upright, gaining more and more height. When you have passed that phase you will feel the confidence to jump into the head water and try some more complex maneuver.
Although no preparation is needed you must be at least 16 years old . You will participate in sessions of your choice of 20 or 40 minutes at sea.
In Gijón Surf Hostel you will be surprised because in our surfcamps everything is advantages. You will have a quick response to your vacation on the waves with packages composed of accommodation and course of the duration and budget you have planned. If you combine this with completely new and equipped facilities, the only problem will be that you will not want to return home.
Our Urban Hostel is a spectacular construction that is only 150 meters from the beach . Between the coast and the door of the building there are only green areas in which to disconnect between one class and another. It consists of three floors with common rooms and rooms with excellent views and the breadth you need. Here you will stay with any of the following options:
- Malibu day : for an express getaway there is our 2-day package with one night of accommodation. You will have the right to free buffet breakfast and you will decide 2 classes between the surf, sup, skate and surfskate disciplines.
- Malibu weekend : spend a whole weekend with 3 days of activities and 2 of them staying in the same conditions as in the previous case but with 3 classes and 2 breakfasts.
- Malibu Week : for those who have the full week we prepare an option of 6 days and 6 nights staying at the surf hostel with activities on each day.